The primary purpose of the zoom room is to ensure fair play. If you have a tournament question, like your game hasn’t started, or you have lost connection and need to know what to do, the best place to ask that is on the ICC platform. Channel 401 is the best place to ask. You can also send a message by private chat on Zoom and if I can I will help you.
You must have zoom on and be on camera. Please set your zoom name as your first and last name.
Every game in the tournament is reviewed for fair play analysis and we have monitors watching on zoom. Review of the games takes several days or even a couple of weeks. Until that is complete, the rating report is not submitted and prizes will not be paid. Please wait at least 2 weeks after the event before contacting us to ask whether the event is rated or prizes are posted.
If you have a fair play concern you can contact the TD in your room using a private message. We will investigate your concern. You should not expect instant feedback or think that we will automatically eject the player or come to the same conclusion you did. Players are innocent until proven guilty and the standard to convict someone of cheating is very high, We do not tolerate public accusations of cheating either on ICC or in zoom.
Participants are expected to use the same computer during the whole tournament. Play must be on desktops, laptops and notebooks only, mobiles and tablets are not allowed.
- Bathroom break: Does not apply to Rapid. For Online Regular rated play (G/25+10 & slower), one (1) is allowed per round, but not if the remaining time on both clocks totals under 30 minutes. For Online Quick or Online Blitz rated play, such a break may be penalized at the director’s discretion and may be a factor considered in “fair play” enforcement.
- The bathroom break limit applies to players whether using Zoom or not. Before going on a bathroom break, players must click the “raise your hand” button and type “bathroom” in the Zoom chat.
- The best setting for the Zoom camera is the angle behind the user, possibly on a cell phone, that allows a view of the entire chess board & monitor. Using the playing computer for Zoom as well is not recommended (uses up bandwidth) and can cause lag or freezing of the chessboard.
- The Director may on occasion require that Zoom be temporarily adjusted to reveal parts of the room not otherwise displayed.
- Audio as well as video must be enabled on Zoom.
- Noise such as music that may be loud enough to mask possible illegal discussion is not permitted.
- Zoom may be used either on the computer being used to play or on a separate device, clearly showing the player and making him/her easily identifiable.
- A player may not leave for a bathroom break while on move.
- Players are warned that improvement of play slightly after a bathroom break is considered highly suspicious and, depending on other factors, could lead to a player being forfeited or banned.
We may send email with further instructions before the event.
Be sure your email accepts messages from firstname.lastname@example.org.